Friday, September 7, 2012

Chemo... Round 2

So the Chemo trail gets real today.

.

The last round was just a booster to help the radiation work bettter. But now we’re dripping the real shit.

.

Signed a giant consent form with an interesting array of listed side effects. Things I have to call in about:

-rashes

-fever over 100*

-Feeling… odd or unwell at all

-Nausea issues not managed by meds

-neurasthenia (numbness/tingling in fingers, hands, toes)

-difficulty breathing/tightness in my chest

.

I’ve been told my hair WILL fall out this time, probably in the next couple of weeks. I have an extra nausea med, it’s actually a steroid. I’m to take 1-2 every day for 3 days after chemo along with the others if I need them too. Evidently the nausea can be a little overwhelming with this combo.

.

It was a really long day. I got to the center at 9am (late by about 15 minutes). They accessed my port but couldn’t get blood return, so they ended up doing my draw from my arm (they had to call the super-phlebotomist to find a vein) while they shot me up with “port drano” to clear my port for treatment. So while that drug was working, I had my appointment with the Oncologist and her team

.

Everything looks good. CT came up clear, no new tumor growth, some kidney stones that aren’t bothering me as yet that they’ll keep an eye on. Physical exam was also good. Everything is good.

.

We’re planning 4 cycles of chemo for this round. Then another evaluation. At that point she’ll decide if more cycles are needed or not.

.

I’ll admit I’m feeling a little anxious about this round. Today didn’t really help, to be honest.

.

They set up the drips as usual, pre-meds, flush, etc. There are actually 2 chemo drugs this time… 1. Carboplatin, and 2. Paclitaxel

.

The Taxel was first, mostly because they expect issues with it. Whatever fluid they use to deliver the drug seems to have a higher incidence of allergic reaction than other drugs do. And, sure enough… they started the drip, I fell back to sleep and woke up when my face started to super heat… pain radiating from my head down my shoulders and lower back in waves. I called the nurse and they stopped the drip, pushed benedryl and ativan. Apparently it’s especially common in those with gynecological cancers. :shrug: Since I don’t usually have major allergy issues, it was pretty scary and unpleasant, but it got dealt with quickly and before it could really affect my stats. They got Dr. Kehoe who came in and was very reassuring, watched and waited until the symptoms went away, and then talked to me a little about the process.

.

They will continue to dose me with the Taxel, but instead of putting it on the full drip, they’ll step up the drip speed bit by bit each time. And they’ll start me with a standard dosing of benedryl and ativan as a precaution each time as well. She’s sure that by the last cycle my body will have adjusted and stop reacting to it anyway.

.

The Carbo was easy. It only took 30 min to drip. Unfortunately because they had to slow the drip of the Taxel so much… even with the minimal 30 min drip for Carbo, I didn’t get to leave until 7pm. A 10 hour day at Simmons. :oy:

This is also the time when I start having to be incredibly careful about who I’m around and what I’m exposed to. Got a cold? You won’t see me for awhile. The immuno-suppressant factor is pretty high for both of these drugs evidently.

,

Should be interesting. My next cycle is September 27th. If my math is right my sessions will be Sept. 27th, October 18th, and Nov. 8th. So if I’m able to stop at the 4… then I WILL be done before Thanksgiving which would be nice.

.

4 cycles. 12 weeks. 1 down, 3 to go.

.

I can do this. And then I can be free. Cancer free.

.

That’s the whole point right? I mean, all of this will be worth it. To say I beat Cancer.

.

I just wish that made me feel less frightened of the process.

No comments:

Post a Comment