Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Radiation

Today is the day I meet the radiation Doctor for the first time. I’m not starting treatment yet, it’s just mostly so I can ask questions, get more information about what will actually happen. I shared some… reservations with the oncologist last time I was there so she thought it would be a good idea to meet with him ahead of time.

.

Grandmother is taking me up there, and after we’re done with him, we’ll go across the hall to have a followup with the Oncologist’s PA.

.

Wound-Vac got changed out this morning and it’s crazy how tiny it’s getting. You can’t even see the black foam beneath the hose connector anymore. I should have had Memaw take pictures at each change… oh well.

.

Right now, the “Big Buzz” (or, my head shaving) is tentatively scheduled for June 3rd. I’m hoping that today on our way to UT that I can talk to my Gran about the whole… head shaving thing. Every time I mention it, she seems to get agitated and I don’t think she really understands how important it is to me that losing my hair is somethingIdo to myself, rather than waiting for it to fall out. She keeps saying, but don’t you want to wait? Maybe you won’t lose your hair, not EVERYONE does!

.

The thing is though, if I wait… once it DOES start falling out, I won’t have the energy to go out and have it shaved… and at that point it won’t be a CHOICE. I really need her to understand and support me… even if she still doesn’t really agree with it you know?

.

:sigh:

The good news is with the med switch the nurse recommended the other day I AM sleeping better and my nausea isgoneTHANK GOD! I know once I start the chemo it will no doubt be back but for now, it’s nice to be nausea free. It makes eating easier… and I’m drinking ensure now too so hopefully I’ll start to feel a bit stronger too.

.

Next week I meet with Dr. Kehoe again, to finalize my sign up for the clinical trial, to discuss the schedule for it all. To discuss the next step for the incision healing. At that point, I honestly think it will probably be too small for the wound vac- at the rate it’s healing now. Not sure what happens then. Questions for next week really.

.

Moving right along.

.

Of course in the midst of it all, my phone screen is completely cracked out. When I got the call about my diagnosis— I threw it against the wall of my bedroom and it survived without a scratch. But yesterday… fell off the bathroom counter and it’s completely shattered. Still usable, if a bit rough at spots… managed to order a replacement. Fortunately about $50 cheaper than the last time I ordered it… but still… was not looking for a $130 expense right now. But, whatever. I have to have a phone and the EVO is the best phone I’ve ever had.

.

I’d like to say this is all getting a little less surreal, but I’d be lying. I’m getting used to it… sort of. But it’s still so… bizarre. I don’t know. I still can’t quite believe this is my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment