Saturday, January 26, 2013

Pain Management


So Pain Doctor Day:
.
Guy was nice. Good news is that my nerves aren’t dead (I could have told him that) and at no point was my weight brought into question AT ALL.
.
He told me about the clinical trial (which uses an injection derived from a blowfish), but we’re going to try something else first. 
.
I am to continue my gaba for a week (but only 1 pill at night instead of 2), then switch to Topamax. He refilled my norco (thank god) and gave me a 1+ refill on it besides.
.
And I go back in a month to check in and see how the topamax is working. If it’s not really, then we’ll revisit the clinical study idea.
.
Now, the downside:
One of the potential side effects of the topamax is cognitive disruption, specifically things like word salad. I already struggle with a lot of that since the chemo, so if this becomes an increased issue- I will have to stop taking it. 
.
In other news, Kris took me shoe shopping and thanks to the experts at New Balance,I am now the proud owner of shoes with extra stability- including roll-bar technology in the heel. While I still have some reservations about the thickness of the soles (they’re pretty substantial), I can already tell having that roll prevention in my heels is going to come in super handy for those times when my feet go completely numb and I still have walking to do.
.
ALSO
The Pain Doc gave me the necessary “prescription” for a temporary disability placard for my car. Without even blinking. Said he thought that was a really smart idea and wrote it out. 
.
So Monday before class I’ll be heading to DPS to get that taken care of. I’m still sort of… emotional about it. About needing it, about using it- but I know it’s the best decision for my body.
.
He was, like I said, really nice. He said that more often than not- it IS a permanent issue- or at least very long term. But he also said that even for temporary sufferers- it can take up to 6 months for it to go away- so not to assume it’s permanent just yet.
.
We’ll see.
.
At least I feel like someone else is watching out for me (and my feet) and will be helping me find the best way to combat it so that I can still have a life.

    No comments:

    Post a Comment