Thursday, January 3, 2013

How to Sell... myself


So here’s the real deal about going back to work.
.
I’m not really even so worried about going back to work.  I’m a good worker.  That was the whole problem with DAS.  I couldn’t STOP working.  I mean for fuck’s sake I was in the worst pain of my life, diagnosed with Cancer and still working weekends and late nights.
.
You set me to work and I’ll work.  And be good at it.  I’m a good worker.
.
What I’m … scared of (for lack of better terminology), is selling myself.  Something I also used to be very good at.   It used to be that if I got an interview for a job, I knew I’d be offered the job.  I interview(ed) very… very well.
.
But I have lost confidence in my ability to sell myself. 
.
I mean, let’s examine this shall we?
.
Appearance:
I have half-grown eyelashes, almost no eyebrows, and my hair is kind of in a disastrous phase of regrowth: looks-wise.
.
Work History:
Lots of job hopping, then a 2 year stint at a job I didn’t really like that much
.
Reason for leaving previous job:
Major health issue that ultimately got me let go because I’d used up my medical leave.
.
Last worked:
July, 2012.
.
Reason for term of unemployment:
Cancer.  In remission for only 1 month.
.
I don’t know how to work around any of that.  I just don’t.  The job hopping thing I can deal with, have before, will again.  My 2 years at DAS will help with that a TON.
.
My instinct is not to mention the fact that I’ve just finished fighting Cancer.  Except that it is honestly and truly the ONLY reason I’m not still at DAS and that I haven’t worked in so long.
.
I don’t know how to dress my head.  If I was going back to DAS- no problem.  They wouldn’t even care.  But interviews are in no small part about that first impression.  That, walk in the door, what do they see moment. 
.
And I’m frustrated by my lack of confidence as much or more than I am about anything else.  I’m intimidated by the idea of trying to sell myself again. 
.
So, I don’t know.  just… my thoughts i suppose.  In a week, if that listing is still there, I’m going to apply.  But the thought of dressing for and going to an interview… something I’ve always been really confident about… scares me a lot right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment