Sunday, January 6, 2013

Back to School


So, Kris and I have talked before about me going back to school..  I’ve been out of college so long now though that to go back for a full degree (even an AA) would mean literally… starting over.  Nothing I’ve taken before is recent enough to transfer anywhere.
.
And, I’m not really that interested in a 4 year degree to be honest.
.
Our local CC (which is really just a few blocks away) though, has a Digital Photography Certificate program.
.
It basically amounts to a 1 year program at the end of which you get a certificate.
.
And in the past I’ve always had so much bill wise (thank you car payment) that trying to do school of any kind just wasn’t really an option because I needed to work full time for decent money in order to stay afloat.
.
Kris has offered in the past to help me take this program though, and tonight at dinner someone was talking college and it made me wonder if the program still existed.
.
It does.
.
2 of the courses recommended for the first “semester” are available for Spring (which begins Jan. 22, registration for which ends Jan 16).  I’ve just finished my application, and tomorrow… I’m going to go in and talk to their academic advisors and admissions counselors (I don’t really think I need to bother sending my 10 year old college transcripts) and see about getting started and registered.
.
I talked to Kris about it again tonight, and she is heartily in favor of my trying it out.
.
I’m nervous- it’s been more than 10 years since I was in school.  And after chemo and the effect it’s had on my brain (and my feet to be honest)… I have some trepidation about my ability to handle coursework.  I was always a good learner, but not a great student- I didn’t test well and my anxiety tended to get in the way a lot.
.
But I also really want this.  And it seems like this is the perfect time to give it a try.
.
Tomorrow I’ll swallow my anxiety and head to campus to talk to advisers… and potentially- get registered for spring.  :meep:

No comments:

Post a Comment