Sunday, April 14, 2013

Portfolio

For my Photo I class, our final "project" is to create a portfolio of 10 images.  We had to give him several ideas of what we want to do and I have 4 different ideas really.


But the one I'm hoping he ultimately approves, and the one I'll be working through anyway is to revisit a project I did several years ago called DearMe.

At a time in my life when I was having trouble... loving myself- I did a daily photography project to try and ... fix that.  Every day for 6 months I wrote something positive to myself on my hand, added a sticker or picture or embellishment... photographed it, edited it and journaled about it.  It was immensely helpful and incredibly therapeutic.

When I was trying to decide what I wanted to do for this portfolio, I thought about revisiting that project.  I also thought about how I'd wanted to add to it during my Cancer Journey.  It occurred to me that I could use the same format- but instead of positive messages, or letters to myself- I could use it as a way to document some of the writing I did here.

So I started working, and digging through my old box of embellishments.  I weeded through this blog, pulled out entries I wanted to highlight.

So far I have 11 finished images (one will actually be redone today probably because it didn't come out exactly the way I wanted it to).  Most of the time the text is quoted directly from the entry (the date of which I print on my thumb for each photo)- but sometimes it's a paraphrase, or one line that summarizes the emotion of the piece.

Either way, it's turned into an incredibly moving and personal way to illustrate the last year of my life.  The first 6 images can be seen below... and I'll add more each time I finish up a set of them.
.
.
.
.















These are not the only images I'll use.  I'll likely go back and fill in other dates in between as well- but these were the ones that jumped out at me when I was doing the initial planning for the project.

No comments:

Post a Comment